Featured

Synth-Pop Love

Ciao! This week’s theme is “Synth-Pop Love”. Let’s start things off with a song that perfectly expresses the essence of the synth-pop genre. Released in 1980, "Fade to Grey" is by Visage, and it became an instant hit across Europe. Here’s "Vienna" by Ultravox. Did you know that this track was famously used in the film "Billy Elliot"? Let’s listen… Now here is "Shake the Disease" by Depeche Mode. Our next song is the synth-pop anthem "Love Action (I Believe in Love)" by The Human League. And now here's "Talking in Your Sleep" by The Romantics. It was a massive hit in the early '80s, reaching the top 5 on the Billboard Hot 100. Next up is "Secret" by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, better known as OMD. Now let’s listen to "Lessons in Love" by Level 42. This song was a huge hit, reaching the top 10 in several countries. Up next, we have a synth-pop classic that's guaranteed to melt your heart. &

I Belong to You

Ciao! This week I’ve chosen the theme “I Belong to You”, and our first song is “Last Night on Earth” by Green Day from 2009.

Our next song is “Non Ho Che Te” by Alessandra Amoroso from 2010. The title means “I only have you”.

Now let’s listen to “You’re My Best Friend” by British rock band Queen, written by the band's bass player, John Deacon. Deacon wrote the song about his wife, and it was first included on the 1975 album A Night at the Opera, and later released as a single.The song reached number seven on the UK Singles Chart and number 16 on the US Billboard Hot 100. It is certified platinum by the RIAA in the US with over one million copies sold.

Next up is “Tua Per Sempre” by Elisa from 2018. The title means “yours forever”.

Here is “The Very Thought of You” by Nat King Cole from the 1958 album of the same name. The album peaked at #17 on Billboard Magazine's Top LP chart. The song is perfect for demonstrating the smooth, silky voice of Cole, and the arrangement and orchestration make it ideal for slow dancing.

Our next song is “Come Nelle Favole” by Vasco Rossi from 2016. The title means “like the fairy tales”. The chorus includes the lyrics, “me and you, raising kids, having neighbors, me and you, sitting on the sofa, talking about this and that, me and you, like the fairy tales”.

“Here I Am” by Bryan Adams was co-written and recorded by Adams in 2002 for the movie “Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron” and was released on the official soundtrack and as a single. The song reached number one in the Czech Republic and Portugal, number five in the UK and on the US Billboard Adult Contemporary chart, and the top 20 in at least 10 other European countries. The song won an ASCAP Award and was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song.

Now let’s listen to “Io Vivo” by Nino D’Angelo from 1989. It’s a love ballad, sung by D’Angelo in Italian and in Neapolitan dialect. The title means “I live”, and the lyrics say “I had no heart, my days were all the same, without emotion...you gave me the sun...you gave me a heart...you taught me to love”.

Next up is “You're my everything” by Santa Esmeralda from 1977.

Here is “I Don’t Want to Live Without You” by Foreigner from 1987. Yes, it’s one of those 80s songs, the ones that make people my age feel young and old at the same time.

“Io Vivo Per Te” by Riccardo Cocciante from 1984 is another great love song that is perfect for slow dancing.  The title means “I live for you”.

Here’s another song from 1984: “We Belong” by Pat Benatar.

“Guerriero” is a beautiful song by Marco Mengoni from 2015. The title means “warrior” and he says “I lift this sword towards the sky. I swear I will be a rock, against fire and ice, alone on the mountain top...I will defend you from everything, have no fear”.

And now, here is “I Just Want To Be Your Everything” by Andy Gibb from 1977.

Our next song is “Io e Te” by Amedeo Minghi from 2003. The title means “me and you”.

Be sure to tune in every week for a new episode of Love Songs, featuring host Marcy Coate. See the sidebar for current broadcast days and times.

Comments